Are you taking yourself seriously as a business owner, do you set boundaries, are you being professional,
It’s time to start owning the tasks that come with running your business, to stop feeling icky around business terms and accepting what you need to know about your needs and applying business strategies in order to balance and grow your personal and business life.
How business-y do you need to be?
In this episode, I'm talking to designer, maker, and teacher Cal Patch who's specialising in drafting your own patterns. Cal shares her journey from teaching for free to becoming an entrepreneur and how she still really doesn't use business terms, although she really IS an entrepreneur.
We cover the following topics;
- Demystifying business concepts and terms
- Finding the right business model for your needs
- Navigating financial concerns as a business owner
- The value of learning from experienced business owners
And I hope you'll gain confidence in knowing that you ARE a business, even if you didn't have the formal education and even if you don't know or use the "right terms". It's about how you take the next step and how you -big word- strategise going forward. Finding the right business model, setting boundaries around getting paid for your services and finding support and knowledge from experienced business owners.
Cal gives us an honest and beautiful insight in her journey.
- Balancing passion for teaching with earning a living is a challenge for creative entrepreneurs, but finding the right balance is key to success.
- Setting rates for teaching should not be a brain-teasing puzzle every single time. It should be simple to figure out your price and increase it as you gain more experience.
- Building a community of fellow entrepreneurs is essential for getting support and learning from others' experiences.
- Virtual teaching can be just as personal and meaningful as in-person teaching, and it offers greater flexibility and less disruption to daily life.
- Learning from experienced business owners is an essential shortcut to navigating the challenges of running a creative business.
CONNECT TO CAL
GET IN TOUCH!
I would absolutely LOVE to hear your thoughts, ideas and questions. This podcast is made for YOU and this is the way that we keep in touch. It's easy,
just push the button on the right side of this page and leave a voice message. ☞
Or simply leave a comment below.
Episode idea, production, artwork, interviews by Saskia de Feijter
Episode edited by Niall Mackay
TRANSCRIPTS & CHAPTER MARKERS
Go HERE to find the podcast in text and scan through and the topics we discuss fast.
Thanks for listening, I really appreciate you choosing to spend your time with me and my guests!
LISTEN ON YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST PLATFORM HERE!
✄ ✄ ✄
Have a question? Want to offer your opinion? Have an idea for a guest or topic?Click the voicemail tab on the right, ☞ ☞ ☞ ☞ I'd love to hear from you!
☞ SUBSCRIBE TO THE JA, WOL mails and/or episode updates
☞ JOIN THE JA, WOL COMMUNITY (free plan available)
☞ LEARN ABOUT THE JA, WOL BUSINESS CIRCLE
☞ SUPPORT Simply rate, review and subscribe to the podcast. Or point a friend in our direction, it makes a big difference because we’re not on social media.