In this insightful episode, Betsy Greer, the founder of Craftivism.com, takes us on a journey through the world of craftivism and its profound impact on personal and societal levels. With a background rooted in punk ideology, Betsy introduces us to the concept of craftivism—a blend of crafting and activism that challenges the status quo.
We delve into the idea that making things by hand is a revolutionary act, disrupting the norms of a world dominated by mass production. Betsy shares her perspective on crafting as a form of activism, highlighting its potential to awaken individuals to unfair systems and inspire change, both in their personal lives and within larger societal structures.
The conversation explores the intersection of crafting and business, with Betsy offering insights into intentional choices and the slow fashion movement. We discover how small, intentional actions in crafting can be a powerful force for change, emphasizing the importance of sustainability, connection, and supporting alternative systems.
Betsy's punk ethos resonates throughout the discussion, challenging traditional business norms and encouraging individuals to carve their unique paths. The conversation weaves through topics like the value of curiosity over passion, the significance of making intentional choices, and the transformative potential of connecting with others through crafting.
- Craftivism as Activism: Crafting is not just a creative outlet; it can be a form of activism, challenging established norms and inspiring change.
- Intentional Choices: The power of intentional choices in crafting and business, emphasizing sustainability and disrupting mass production.
- Punk Ideology in Crafting: Betsy Greer's punk ethos challenges traditional business norms, encouraging individuality and alternative paths.
- Connection and Curiosity: The importance of connection, small actions, and curiosity in crafting and business endeavors.
- Crafting Change: How crafting, when approached with intention and awareness, can be a catalyst for personal and societal transformation.
- "Craftivism is a way of thinking about, there's so many things we can't solve everything. So, is it finding something that you can work on and talk about and share that changes the world in your own way?"
- "It's not like I need to do it every week. It's like I can use it when I want to."
3. "Making can be a revolutionary act. It can change your whole life. It can change how you show up in the world and who you connect with."
- Betsy Greer's Instagram: @craftivista
- Patternshift.fm (Saskia de Feijter's platform)
GET IN TOUCH!
I would absolutely LOVE to hear your thoughts, ideas and questions. This podcast is made for YOU and this is the way that we keep in touch. It's easy, just push the button on the right side of this page and leave a voice message. Or simply leave a comment below.
Episode idea, production, artwork, interviews by Saskia de Feijter
Episode edited by Niall Mackay
TRANSCRIPTS & CHAPTER MARKERS
Go HERE to find the podcast in text and scan through and the topics we discuss fast.
Thanks for listening, I really appreciate you choosing to spend your time with me and my guests!
Production Saskia de Feijter
Artwork by Saskia de Feijter
Episode edited by Niall Mackay
Music by Jonathan Boyle
Webpage Design Saskia de Feijter
LISTEN ON YOUR FAVORITE PODCAST PLATFORM HERE!
☞ GET BI-WEEKLY ACTIONABLE BUSINESS TIPS AND INSIGHTS ☜that actually help you move your business forward☆ SIGN UP HERE! ☆☞ GET EPISODE UPDATES ☜☆ SIGN UP HERE! ☆☞ FIND OTHER BUSINESS OWNERS IN OUR COMMUNITY SPACE ☜☆JOIN THE CONVERSATION☆