In this podcast episode upcoming knitwear designer Maaike van Geijn, shares her ideas, processes, hiccups, and successes as a designer like how her first three designs were immediately published by Laine Magazine, Kate Davies and la Bien Aimée. We’re discussing topics such as her daily routine, submitting patterns to magazines, designing for multiple sizes, pattern writing, and the importance of testing. She also talks about the impact of working with a publisher and her plans for the future. The unique perspective of a beginner designer and some valuable insights and advice for anyone interested in pursuing a career in the needle craft industry, an episode jam-packed with answers to questions you’ve had for ages.
MAIN TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE
- Designing for multiple sizes is key and the standard these days, you’ll need to know about grading sizes. Knowing about spreadsheets and numbers comes with the territory.
- Testing the pattern is crucial, test knitters are a valuable tool in the process.
- Working with a publisher can have a big impact, just apply, don’t be afraid
- Submitting patterns to magazines is a great way to get noticed, let their marketing machine do the work for you
- Pursuing a career in the needle craft industry is not easy money, but it feels really good to get your patterns noticed and made.
LINKS FROM THE EPISODE
Anything that comes up in the conversation, other businesses, blogposts, episodes
Maaike’s three published patterns:
Kate Davies' project "My Place" - 00:16:09
Maaike’s designs on Ravelry
Techniques and Knitting Lingo
Other spaces and Places
- Vogue Knitting Live
- Maaike donated the revenue from her ‘Kelp’ pattern to The Ocean Cleanup
- Maaike was a member of the the Ja, Wol Business Circle
Tools & Tricks
- Stitch Fiddle computer program (00:25:10)
- Knitting publishers Style Sheets
- Get a FREE Test Knitting Space in the Ja, Wol Community - mailto: email@example.com
- Get 50% discount on your first year of Flodesk, the beautiful email marketing tool that also offers a landing page (mini website). Using the discount you'll have the easiest, cheapest and best looking solution for beginning small businesses. $19,-/per month to directly connect AND sell to your followers, fans and clients for a whole year!!
CONNECT WITH MAAIKE
Maaike van Geijn on Ravelry